Pet urine stench from area rugs can be more discernible when the house isn’t yours. It is like we develop some odor-blindness when it comes to our homes, but visitors certainly don’t miss that. You don’t want anyone thinking of how dirty your house is when they step in because a tornado of pet urine stench hits them. If you keep a dog or a cat, it will take regular cleaning to keep things fresh at home. Do you know how to clean an area rug with pet urine? Below are some different methods for you to try.
Neutralizing Pet Urine Odors
The solution lies within your home. Seeking the help of carpet cleaning professionals will ensure the odors are gone for good. However, there are methods you can try yourself. Mix a tablespoon of vinegar in two cups of water and get ready to get rid of the weird smells. Pour all this mixture into a spray bottle, and then shake thoroughly before use. The vinegar solution is a quick fix, especially if you are expecting your doorbell to ring any minute. Spray it in the air and lightly on the area rugs (don’t make them wet). The cleaning solution will mask the urine stench, buying you more time to clean them.
How to Clean an Area Rug with Pet Urine
Method 1: Vinegar & Baking Soda
- Blot the stained area rugs as much as you can with a damp piece of cloth.
- Combine white vinegar and water in equal measure in a bowl.
- Sprinkle a little baking soda over the spot and splash the vinegar solution over it as well. You should notice some bubbling on the area; that is a sign that the solution is effectively working to kill the urine odor and lift stains.
- Let your area rugs absorb the vinegar solution and baking soda mixture for about 15 minutes, then blot the area by wiping with a clean piece of cloth until all the stains are removed.
- Vacuum to dry.
Method 2: Use an Enzymatic Cleaner
- Smudge up the sullied spot as much as you can.
- Soak the place with an enzymatic stain and odor remover- the compound based enzyme will split down microscopic organisms and kill the smells originating from your area rugs
- Use paper towels to dab the area sprayed with the enzymatic stain and let the compound sit for two days then vacuum when dry.
- Give a clean finish by applying baking soda to the area rugs to remove any moisture left behind.
- Repeat the whole process once again if the stain or stench persists.
The best method for how to clean an area rug with pet urine is by using an enzymatic cleaner and blotting it with baking soda. A mixture of vinegar and baking soda also works well to break down and remove the stain and odor. Remember it is best to eliminate odors, rather than mask them. However, if you are tired of coming home to your pet stained carpet, it may be best to hire a pet sitter to ensure your carpet stays spotless.